The airport in San Diego is the largest single runaway airport in the country and as such a revamp and expansion of the airports services and amenities is in place. This project is called “The Green Build”.
This project helps meet the airport’s current and future demand for travel, while improving customer service and serving as an economic stimulus for the San Diego region. A $1 billion project that was completed on time and under budget, The Green Build created 1,000 jobs at peak construction. It opened for business on August 13, 2013.
Project highlights included:
- 10 new gates to reduce terminal congestion and provide expanded, more comfortable passenger waiting areas
- Enhanced curbside check-in, allowing passengers to print boarding passes, check baggage and view gate information at an easy-to-use curbside kiosk before entering the terminal
- Dual-level roadway to relieve curb-front traffic congestion by separating arriving and departing passengers
- More security lanes to improve flow of passengers through the terminal
- Expanded concession area providing more dining and shopping options
- Nation’s largest airport USO Center
The below video describes in detail all the specs of the Green Build Project.
Downtown San Diego Condos